Thoughts and Happenings of an Average Family

Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20

So most of my adventures today were during our school time.  Let me start out by saying that I did not begin homeschooling thinking that it was going to be a walk in the park.  I was terrified.  Completely.  Of not doing a good enough job, of my kids not getting enough social time, of failing them as a parent because I was too wrapped up in being a teacher.  But we found our stride and we make it work.  Most of the time.
Then there are days like today.  Hayden is eight years old and he is doing the equivalent of a public school fifth grade curriculum.  And most days, he breezes right through.  No complaints or issues.  He does, after all, have a genius IQ.  And that isn't just parental bragging.  We had him tested.  We knew he was really special when he was speaking in four word sentences by the time he was nine months old.  And he has remained so.  But despite his IQ, Hayden is only 8.  Sometimes its really easy to forget that because he doesn't act like a typical 8 year old.  So when he has a day like today, where he is acting like an 8 year old, it's stressful for the both of us.  Normally, there is a lot of arguing and whining and begging involved.  And that's just from my side.
So now that we are finished and he is playing his video games, I am sitting here watching him and reminding myself how blessed I am to have him.  How special I must be because I was chosen to be his parent.  And that will carry me through.
Luckily, Cebelle did not have school issues today.  Her independence is asserting itself very forcibly lately.  She gets up and refuses to put on clothes.  Or brush her hair.  Or pretty much anything else that happened to be my idea.  I am trying to pick my battles with her because she extremely strong willed and has a pretty hot temper.  Honestly, sometimes I just have no idea what to even do with her.  But on the other side of that, she can also be the sweetest, empathetic, kindest, loving little girl in the world.  So I look at her and I remind myself that I am blessed to be the parent of a child who knows her own mind and is passionate about what she believes in.  And that will carry me through.
So now I am trying to decide what project I want to start next.  I have finished up knitting a couple of purses and I am working on a huge 12x16 cross-stitch.  I think I'm going to make a few pieces of jewelry tomorrow.  These is a necklace that I was commissioned for at Christmas:


I love the way it turned out!
I am thinking about making some similar pieces in different colors.  I'm trying to build up my store so that when I get my Etsy profile set up I have plenty to sell!  I figure if I'm going to do it, I need to have enough inventory to make it work! 
But that's an adventure for a different day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment